View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 08:52 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Powerstoke Vs. 6.8 Triton

Originally posted by Petrol
If my memory serves me right the 6.8L V-10 has 310 hp and 450 lb ft of torque while the 6.0L PSD has 325 hp and 550 lb ft. I love the old 7.3L PSD and the new 6.0 PSD (though we have had a few recall isssues with the new 6.0L already)

With that in mind I would still not hesitate to recommend the 6.8L to anyone who is looking at a SuperDuty. The V-10 is a powerful, reliable and considering it's displacement and power output, a reasonably efficient.

Unless you are looking for a workhorse that will live a long life of towing and or hauling of very heavy loads the V-10 gasser will serve you well all the while knowing that you saved over $5000 at purchase time (we have of both in many of our heavyduty work truck)

I'm sure others will chime in with more details such as resale (if you pay more for the PSD, you should expect a bit more back at resale) Fuel mileage (6.8L V-10 returns about 11-13 mpg while 6.0L PSD gives about 16-18 mpg) but then there is the issues of fuel availability and cost (diesl is running a bit more the reg unl now) and maintenance cost to consider (PSD oil changes cost twice as much for example)

All in all, if you like gasser, get one . . . if diesels are your flavor, the 6.0L PSD is a very good design..
A few points to make concerning your post, the 6.0 Power Stroke makes 560 lb/ft of torque, not 550. Also, concerning the initial cost of the diesel, the number you gave was the MSRP number for the diesel. Noone pays MSRP. That being said, you're right, you should expect to get more for the diesel at resale. The bottom line is that extra cost will be recouperated by additional resale value + break even point. Even if you have not reached the break even point, you will still come out at least even because the truck is still worth more money.

The mileage you posted for the 6.0 I don't think is representative of what the engine will ultimately do. Some people are reporting about 20 MPG already. I've seen one guy on another forum that has claimed 23 MPG out of his 6.0 Power Stroke. Keep in mind that most people have not "broken in" their trucks yet and the mileage will increase. 20 MPG compared to 12 MPG is a huge difference. Let's say that the cost of regular gas is $1.60/gallon. In order to have the same overall fuel cost per mile the diesel would have to cost $2.67/gallon. To look at things from the reverse scenario since diesel has been so high this winter, let's say that diesel is $2.00/gallon. Regular gas would have to be $1.20/gallon to have the same fuel cost per mile. Even with the higher diesel prices, the fuel use cost still offsets the cost of the additional maintenance. If you change the oil yourself, there really isn't too much of a difference at all. Other than the additional oil, the only other added maintenance is the fuel filter every 15,000 miles, and that only costs a little less than $14.

I'm not trying to bash anyone or their opinions, but the information was incomplete.