Thread: 4L, 4H, or 2H?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003, 02:44 PM
TallGuy_Az
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4L, 4H, or 2H?

I also mud bog in 4L in third gear, rev it up, dump the clutch and put the pedal to the floor. I don't shift at all through the pit. Of course, if I had a big block I could probably use 4H, 2nd to 3rd. The 300 with my 3.00 gears and 35" tires don't like that too much. 3rd gear in 4L works great, though. It all depends on your gears and engine size along with tire size, because the advice to me with my setup is much different than someone with a 460 and 4.11 gears. Let us know what you have.

What I did before the first mud bog was to go find a big dirt area, put it in gear and try it. That is how I figured what I could and couldn't do.

The other thing is this. If I were to put my truck in 4L and 1st gear, it would take me a good minute to go through the pit if my engine didn't die first and I didn't get stuck. If your truck is like mine with granny 1st, you definitely don't want to do that. Way too low of a gear. Even 2nd in 4L on mine is too low. 3rd is just right in 4L, but even then I could shift if I had more power because it revs pretty high toward the end of the pit.

Hope all of this helps!