View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 02:55 PM
bluestang65
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wptski
Were they "O" rings or actually Quad rings or square? They've used rubber rings for years. Did they fall apart when removed? The rings are static or not a friction seal like a moving piston rod, so they should last for many years unless they were made of the wrong type of material.

Did you detect a vacuum leak at the intake by some test? You had to have a heck of a leak that would affect your power brakes!!

I didn't test the vacuum leak other than observing the way it was running. The computer was hunting around and couldn't compensate for the extra air. I don't know how the booster was involved, but when the temperature dipped into the single digits here, the booster worked fine. It would always fail first thing in the morning.
Based on the code cocktail, I thought it would make sense to change the gasket first since it's so cheap.
The Orings just looked all flattened out, old and used. They were flat even with the surface of the intake at the top of the groove. I am confident that the problem is fixed. The car already had a new IAC from the PO and fuel injection service too.
It was a cheap and easy fix and now, the car is reliable and the wife is officially satisfied with the repair.