Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
???

Thats the point I am trying to make----automotive systems will not handle that kind of voltage. Seems we are not in agreement on how, with a 200 A charger, can put that kind of voltage into a system. I have given one senario.

Increasing resistance in a circuit decreases current flow. I didnt make that law----it is ohms law, very basic. lets see if I can remember the formula--

I=P / R current (I) = power (P) divided by resistance (R)

Power is ~12.5V in this case. Resistance is the resistance of the whole load or a specific load (ie: window motor). if you increase resistance, without increasing power, the current flow is less. If you increase power (P) without increasing R, I will increase.

Cranking an engine will not increase voltage, I never said it would, read my post closely. The only way you might increase voltage to those amounts, is if you have a charger capable of 200 A hooked up at the same time and have a battery thats not capable of delivering its rated amperage. Even a good battery will drop some voltage when the starter hits it. That will trigger a charger to increase voltage to regain the 12.5 VDC. The amount will depend upon the state of the battery and the capabilities of the charger.

If the limits of the charger are 200 amps, and the battery voltage drops enough, it will put out considerable voltage to get to its rated output. I believe I said maybe 30-50 volts---amount not exactly specified. I am pretty sure I have seem chargers that put ~90 volts to pump the amperage through a dead battery for a quick charge. Again, put a Fluke multimeter on it----.

Is O.K. to not agree with my "theories". What you need to do is disprove my interpretations of Ohms Law. Thats where my "theories' come from. I sat through many a class with instructors trying to pump this stuff into my head and I worked with this stuff for 34 years. Had to refer to "Mr. Ohm" lots of times, even had to design some circuits.