Thread: Check Engine?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine?

The truck is a 1988 F-350 with a 460 CI engine.

So I changed my engine a few months ago, and I removed the smog pump and EGR valve from the new engine.

Before the engine was pulled I had the check engine light on almost constantly. I pretty much just ignored it until I was forced to pull the engine. Most of the time it was an oil low thing because it had two dead cylinders and bad rings and burned quarts of oil in NO TIME. (It still ran when it was pulled.)

Anyways, with the new engine I still have a check engine light on. I assume it is something new, but it could be an old problem popping up again.

I ran a really confusing self-tester. Some "count-the-beeps" B.S.

I THINK my codes were;
  • EGR VALVE CONTROL SENOR
  • Throttle Position Sensor out of range
  • Power steering pressure sensor switch
I don't HAVE an EGR valve anymore, could its absense be causing this problem.

I have absolutely no idea how a throttle position sensor could be out of range. Could it have been installed wrong? What could I do to remedy this?

I didn't know my power steering had a sensor. The power steering pump leaked really bad on the old engine. ( I believe it was a hose and I believe I fixed the leak. ) I have not noticed any LACK of power steering but I did notice it was making a whining sound as if it was low on fluid.

If anyone can make sense of all this junk I just typed out and has any helpful idea's let me know!

I'm going to take my truck to someone who knows what they're doing with a tester. But until then, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks