View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
AOD tranny or not? AND flat top pistons

hey--

I see quite a few of you are concerned about me putting in an aod, in an F-350. I was concerned too to start with, especially since this C-6 has brought me through Hell and High water, so to speak. With the C-6 I have driven it fully loaded with camper and aluminum boat atop, over dessert and mountains, 18 hours into Mexico. It has also taken me, fully loaded, and pulling a trailor, to Portland, Oregon, and back twice.

I guess I am looking for a way to get better milage. After reading the websites, etc., I have learned that the '92-'93 F series trucks and the vans came with the strongest aod made, with a two inch wide overdrive band. There are after market kits made to make them (supposedly) bullet proof. An extra gear, and then over-drive to boot, really appeals to me. And like most automatics, the key is keeping the tranny cool, or at least not hot.

The truck is my daily driver and work truck. I rarely haul with it anymore, so I think I'll be okay. And with all the aftermarket goodies, if I should need to tow, I know I'll be covered.

FLAT TOP PISTONS: Ross makes forged, 9.5:1 pistons for the 300. However, my machine shop checked their book, and found one of the latter years came with higher compression, flat top pistons. When I go back in to have the block done, I check the exact year and post it here. It is a lot cheaper than getting them from Ross.