Thread: 4.6 vs. 5.0
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2001, 06:08 PM
BMc
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 vs. 5.0

My '97 4.6 does fine with 2 bikes & gear but now with a 25' Toy Hauler I'm considering options. I figure the first mistake I made was getting a 1/2 ton truck with a tow package. With any intention of towing, I should have up'd to a 5.4 at minimum. Again, let me say I am pleased with my truck, that is, except for towing my latest investment. The second mistake I made was to put 31" tires on it. The truck looks great but hooking up the trailer, it can't get out of it's own way. Normal freeway driving is tolerable but encountering any grade, VW buses could pass me. The 31" tires comprimised the 3.55 gears. I put on the K&N Charger and it made quite a difference. Considering now whether to dump in a grand for cat back 3" exhaust and lower gearing. Or, convince my wife I need to invest in a new truck. Does anyone have words of wisdom before I dump more money into my 150 only to realize I need trade up? I need to mention the only reason I drive a truck is cause I ride every chance I get and the only purpose of the Toy Hauler is to ride longer every chance I get. I'm from So. Cal. (take your shot!) and ride/camp in the local mountains and southern Sierras - lots o' climbing. Putting money into the exhaust/gearing is only half the battle. I need to stop and I don't feel all that confident with a light duty truck rated to tow 7000 but feeling it with a 5500lb loaded trailer with brakes (remember, Sierras - +16% grades).

I would greatly appreciate any comments. Even the obvious one - get an F250.