Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact that Ford can't detect it's own misfires shows their OBDII software has room for improvement. Having to do a stress test or load the engine down and remove the COP connectors means DTCs are NOT being set even though misfires are occurring. You wouldn't have to do those steps if misfire DTSs were being set. Setting misfire DTCs are supposed to help the technician get the car out the door faster. Without them you either have to do extra work or you start barking up the wrong tree as I recently did. I had misfires WITHOUT misfire DTCs. The DTCs I had were Lean Codes so I started troubleshooting them. When I couldn't find the source of the lean codes I went back to basics and worked directly on the misfires. That's when I found the bad COP on #1. Ford overdrives their COPs which contributes to their high failure rate. If you compare Ford to other brands you'll find they don't have the high failure rate of Ford because the other brands ramp up their coils more slowly rather than hitting them with full current as Ford does. These Ford COPs are going to continue to fail, but if I have misfires on a Ford in the future without misfire DTCs I'm going to look for a bad COP rather than something that could cause a different DTC.