View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'58 F100 Resto Project

This is my '58 F-100 that I have been working at for about 2 years. I have the whole drive terrain for the most part is done besides a few things to spruce up yet. I have been looking into having body work done but I would like to find a parts truck or a rust free cab. My cab is just too far gone; I was quoted 18k for body work without the cost of parts. My box is probably as clean as it will get beside the few dings and the very little rust bellow the tail lights. The front fenders need a little patching up nothing to serious.

The motor that I will be putting in this truck is a 239cid V8. I had the 272 motor that was in this truck taken to a place to be rebuilt (not sure if it was the original). They called me after about 3 weeks and said that one of the main bearings on the block has a hairline crack and they will not continue working on it. They also said that one of the caps themselves was busted into pieces and in the years they have been rebuilding motor they never seen one busted like that. It was even on a different cylinder from the one that had the hairline crack. I then striped down a motor that my dad had and turned out that one was junk because it was bored over as far as it could. I went to an auto salvage yard and the owner said he had a 292Y block at his house and said that I could have it for $250. So I said yes and brought it home stripped it to the bare block took it in to be rebuilt. They called back and said it was a 239cid and asked if I still wanted to continue. I said yes not knowing that the parts will cost a fortune more than if it was a 272 or 292. If I could do it all over again I would have said no and look yet for a third engine. My transmission was also rebuilt last year.<O></O>
<O> </O>
I did drive the truck for about 6 months and I enjoyed driving it during that short time. I know lots of people convert their truck to power everything I am not going to do that. I like the feeling of having to push the brakes harder and turning harder. My plans for this truck are to make it close to original as I can. I am not even going to swap out the old drum brakes for disk brakes. As for paint I am going to do the same color scheme, the two tone blue white, just not the baby blue. My dad has a ’56 F100 and also a ’55 F100 that I will post pics. of later, here’s my truck though.<O></O>

this is my 239cid was thinking of painting it different now, more of an original era type color.

this is when we pulled the cab off

this is what she looks like right now

this is a small hole that I had in my frame, its been all patched up and fixed

this is what my drive terrain looks like as of right now

here's my tranny and some other misc. parts.

here's a pic of it starting up for the first time in a good 12 years or so (notice all of the smoke).