Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM
jp_foster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused about towing capacity of 2003 F150

I just bought a used 2003 F150 7700 super cab, short box, 5.4L, 3.73. I bought it with the understanding that it had a greater payload and towing capacity than the average 1/2 ton.

Having no experience towing trailers I checked Ford specifications on this vehicle which stated that I can pull a maximum trailer weight of 8200lbs. Just randomly surfing the Internet that seems to be generally accepted. However, here's where I become confused. I have just read in the towing section of the manual that the combined weight of the towing vehicle (including passengers, cargo, etc.) and the loaded weight of the trailer cannot exceed the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). Since my GCWR is 13,500lbs, and the GVWR of the truck is 7700lbs, I'm left with a difference of 5,800lbs.

Having bought the truck thinking I could safely tow ~8000lbs, I'm feeling a little depressed if I can only tow around 5000lbs. So I found this website, and I felt better 'cause its a website full of guys that drive Ford trucks. I reckoned that here would be a good place to get a straight answer to my problem.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help a guy out.