View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
tomfilbey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto on the frustration on 1997 ford f150 rear shock removal

Bottom Line. I cut off the rear shocks with a reciprocating saw.

This was very frustrating because there was very limited room to access this bolt.

After spending numerous hours trying to get the driver's side rear shock top nut off, I took out my reciprocating saw outfitted with a 9 inch bi-metal blade and cut the nut and shaft off in about two minutes. I didn't even mess around with the passenger side and that nut was also cut off in two minutes.

The bottom bolts came off easily with an impact wrench.

Screwing the new nut on the new shock using a universal shock removal tool caused an unexpected problem. Because of its length and limited clearance in the work area, the tool jammed against the truck bed and I was unable to get the tool off the nut after I had tightened the nut. I had to loosen the nut to take it off. Luckily I was able to finish tightening it without the use of the universal shock removal tool. I was able to use a ratchet wrench and socket.

Things I tried unsuccessfully to get the nut off.
- Soaking it in penetrating oil
- gripping the shaft above the nut with visegrips
- gripping the shaft below with visegrips
- breaking the nut with nut splitter. I ended up breaking the nut splitter.
- chiseling the split nut with an air chisel.

Successful
- finally used the reciprocating saw. The reason I waited so long to use this was because I didn't think there was room.

If the bolt doesn't come off easily just cut it off. You are going to throw the old shocks away anyway.

Ford f-150 rear shock removal and installation