View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orng1
I was looking at a propane generator, how do you like it? The diesel one seemed a little to expensive for me. I'm planing to live out in an area without power for a few months so a generator will be a necessity.
Love the convenience of the propane as far as not having to fill tank up as with gasoline or diesel. Mine is actuall a gasoline model that I converted to propane. I can run gasoline or propane in it. Propane is a much cleaner burning fuel with a lot less harmfull emissions than gasoline. You lose a little power as propane does not have as much btu content as gasoline. The engine ran a whole lot smoother on propane than on gas. I tried to adust the carb on gas to smooth it out but, to my surprize, there was no carb adjustment. I would suggest getting an engine with a low oil cutoff for obvious reasons. One with a pressurized oil system and filter would be a plus also. Add water cooled and radiator - even better. Mine is rated at 5550 watts with a 10 hp B&S engine. I believe the engine is too small as it struggled to run my water well (220v). I have a friend who just ordered a 5500 watt propane fueled gen that has a 13 hp engine. Saw it today and it is nice. Chinese model so don't know how long it will last. Much quieter than mine and a lot more advanced as far as plugs and controls go.