View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Claudia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 vs F250 to pull trailer

I purchesed a 2001 F150 XLT with standard cab and could not be happier with it for most uses. I pull a large horse trailer with it and for the most part it keeps up. Has to work a little harder on hills etc but gets the job done. I bought the trailer after I bought the truck and have read since that I should have a pulling vehicle with a larger wheel base to be safer. So, now is the time to make up my mind while the interest rates are down. Do I replace it with the F150 with the extended cab (have to have 8' bed) which will give me the added length, or do I bite the bullet and try and afford the F250 XLT (with the best towing package)? I made the mistake of test driving one. I loved it. Now I am getting all kind of conflicting stories from people I know. I have been told the F250 when used for towing a trailer will be a gas hog unless I get the diesel. Most of the time I will not be using it for towing and really did not want a diesel. As I get bolder with towing this large trailer, I do hope to get out with it more. Where I live there are very few hills but I hope to get into PA , VA, and WVA where there are some. Bottom line I guess I am asking about safety. Can I safely continue to pull a large horse trailer with an F150? or should I go to the 250? I appreciate any advice since this is nowhere I have been before!