View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 2 months ago I got stuck in the sand and had to use nearly all of my recovery gear. My family and I took the "Indian Guided" tour to Canyon de Chelly in Arizona and got stuck in the sand. I had to use 3 straps joined together to make one long chain. I had prepared some old broom handle sections to put between the loop ends when joining them (not as a securing pin, but to keep the loops from sticking together). I used a bow shackle on one of the front towing eyes, and another to the recovery vehicle. The funny part about the whole thing, was I was pulled out by an old army 6 wheel drive truck (dual wheels were removed) that didn't have a working reverse gear. He had to make very large circles to turn around to get in front of me, which is why I need 40' of tow straps looped together. The two Indian guides were surprised that I had 3 two straps, a shovel, and the dowel pins since there were 3 vehicles there at the same time and not a one besides me had any recovery gear. BTW, I put all the gear in a bag ahead of time in my cargo box so it wouldn't be buried under all our luggage, but normally all of the straps (3), shackels, dowels, and gloves fit in the two under floor compartments.