Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
csangster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes

Originally Posted by andym
The problem with checking them this way is that if the cable is stretched out it gives you skewed results.

The proper way to check the adjustment on drum brakes is to jack the wheel up in the air and spin it. If the shoes drag lightly all the way around the rotation, then they are adjusted correctly. If they don't touch, or don't touch all the way around, they are too loose. If you can't move the wheel at all then they are too tight.

If you have limited slip and you only jack one wheel up or if you have an open differential, jack one wheel up and leave the tranny in park then the wheel will obviously not spin at all.

Regardless, it's probably not your problem, although you should definitely adjust drum brakes at every opportunity and especially after replacing shoes. The smell from the fronts is either something on the rotor (grease, dirt from the brake job) or the brand and quality of pads that you bought.
I will take care to properly adjust the brakes.....thank you.

As for the smell, I cleaned the brakes thoroughly after replacement. I bought the Napa pads that are one step down from the highest quality pads used for heavy towing/hauling. Since I don't tow and/or haul very often I figured I didn't need them......but if they are going to behave like this I might just spend the money so I have that confidence. I live in the mountains, so it might be a good idea anyway.

Thoughts?

Chris