View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whjco
Yeah Ron, but they didn't pay for the labor necessary to replace them nor for the hole in my seat cushion where my butt puckered a hole in it when I ran clean through an intersection at a red light with my loaded 9500# 24' car trailer in tow. I was 15 mph under the speed limit when the light changed and it just plain wouldn't stop! I was standing on the pedal and it wouldn't lock the rotors on the van, or engage the anti-lock, and the smoke was rolling off of the trailer tires since the trailer was doing most of the stopping. Later, I had another hill with a T-stop at the bottom and I even slowed down and geared down before starting down the hill. Even then, I had difficulty stopping and the smoke was rolling off of the van brakes. We were on our way to an antique car tour in NY (we're in Lexington, KY) at the time and I had to drive like I was on eggshells the rest of the trip out and back. After that kind of experience, I'm a little reluctant to try NAPA ceramics again.

Also, the practically brand-new rotors were warped from all the heating and NAPA wouldn't replace them, so I literally got burned on a new set of rotors. Yes, there was enough meat on the brand new rotors to turn them true but I didn't trust them to remain true after having experienced that much heat. AND I buy enough parts from NAPA that I'm on their fleet pricing plan. NAPA refunded the price of the pads but didn't compensate me for the damage to the rotors nor the replacement labor that they caused.

I feel that I've paid well for the right to be disappointed with NAPA's brake pads.
Yeah, if I had that happen I would be very reluctant to recommend anything as well. After the initial bed in time did the brakes feel weak? I would think that if it is pushing you that much through and intersection that they had to be very marginal to begin with in stopping power. Hopefully no harm done other than the crap rotors and brakes. I have been pushed through a stop sign before with a trailer. Totally changes your outlook when towing things.