View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Life Expectancy of Fuel Tank

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top itxtvisited="1">Ok, I am not one to wait around to replace something worn completely out AFTER it damages other good parts that are connected to it. Case in point: my stock 23 year old fuel tank. Right now, it doesn't leak and I haven't seen any signs of rust in the fuel filter, but how do I tell for sure?

After sitting for about a year, my engine has been rebuilt recently with a brand new $300 Holly carburetor and fuel lines. Not to mention completely rebuilt AOD transmission. I am completely restoring this truck to make it dependable, and I do not want something as simple as an old rusted out fuel tank to contaminate my new fuel system!

So what do you think? Has my fuel tank seen its best days, or do they last indefinetly? Should I go ahead and just replace my 23 year old fuel tank BEFORE it leaks or gets rust in my fuel system, or am I doing more work than I need to? What is the life expectancy of a typical fuel tank?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>