Thread: 390 vs. 460
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
With the 460 there is much more involved than just the bellhousing issue. There are motor mounts, mount towers, a different exhaust system requirements and wiring changes. I like the 460 but I think the change over problems out weigh the advantages. I've had both and with todays fuel prices, I'd trade my 460 for a fuel effiecent 390 in a heart beat. However the change over problems pretty much make it not worth the effort for the gains in mileage. I'll just use my 1999 Ranger 4.0 Liter for the light to medium stuff and use the F-250 for the heavy towing and hauling only.

That makes sense but this thing hardly ever goes out of the county! Its just a toy right now. If my Ranger goes die die then I need to be able to drive it but ol' Whitey is pretty solid right now. Both of the trucks considered for the trade have custom exhaust but yes we would have to switch to make it work. Really he would need mine more than I'd need his because I'll most likely just put a turn down right after the headers anyways. Motor mounts is not that big og a deal IMO. But I'm still not sold on it.

Maybe if he threw in the gaskets, rings, and bearings, then all I'm spending is time thats ok. Then he would be saving time not rebuilding an engine and i would get a bigger one.

Who knows?