View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Drums '97 F250 HD 5.8L

I've had a funny clicking noise from my rear wheels for the last few weeks that I was thinking was worn rear brakes. I played around some with it today and was finally able to get one of the drums off - although it was reluctant to come off until I took the BFH to it. Which leads me to one of my questions....

In the process of taking the drum off, I broke some of the flange off the drum. Maybe a total of 2-3". I doubt it would hurt anything (that's a question ) but I plan to replace the drums anyway. They are pretty rusty and have a considerable lip around the edge so I think they are due.. Does anyone know a good source for the drums? Nobody seems to stock them so if I have to order anyway, might as well get decent ones.

As for the clicking, unless the other side brakes are worn worse, I'm at a loss as to the noise - it is definitely rear end related and the u-joints seem fine. There was no noise while spinning the wheel jacked up in the driveway. The noise sounds like a paperclip held into the spokes of a bike wheel.

Last thing - how much meat is on the brake shoes when new? Mine are about 1/8" thick but are clean and smooth. I'm changing them but just curious how much meat they start with.

Thanks as always.

Ray