View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by srercrcr
Yes, this is a little known secret in the industry. A dirty TB valve will cause the engine to gradually run worse, eventually getting the unsuspecting owner into the repair shop, which will find something expensive to "fix", when 20 cents of carb cleaner will fix it completely.
Some engines require you to shut off the engine to do this, cause they won't idle with the big hose off. Remove the big air inlet hose going to the TB. You'll see the valve inside the TB. Push the throttle cable and you'll see you can access the back side. Liberally spray all sides and the edge and clean with your finger. Some engines have an IAC port hole in there but I guess I don't have that. I lay a thick rag over the serp belt so dripping cleaner won't get on it. Happy motoring!
Not carb cleaner. Carb cleaner can damage plastic and rubber parts, and will strip away the protective coating. There is throttle body cleaner available about the same price at all parts stores, it has different solvents in it which are safe to use in throttle bodies.