View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
thomasevance
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
I have a new slightly different problem with the truck backfiring and then stalling out. I get to within a 1/2 mile area of where my truck dies while coming home from work each day. It usually will restart while still rolling off the road by putting it into neutral and starting the engine again. Once it took several minutes to get it running again. I checked for codes and it steered me to look at the fuel pressure. My neighbor checked it not running but with the key in the "Run" position.

The pressure started at 41 PSI (not running) and then 50 PSI once started. The pressure did increase by 5 PSI when the vacuum line was removed from the fuel pressure regulator. These pressures were all lower than limits per the Haynes repair manual. Unfortunately, the pressure slowly decreased even with the vacuum line replaced.

Could the fuel pressure regulator be causing it to drop or would you look closer at the fuel pump for this condition? My thought on this is that the fuel pmp was just replaced a couple of months ago, while the fuel pressure regulator ha 300,000 miles on it.

The fuel pump is still under warranty, but I will probably cut an access hole thru the bed of the truck and replace the pump with out dropping the tank. I will put an aluminum cover with self-tapping screws over the hole later. Does it sound to you guys that I am on the right path?
Thanks,
Tom