View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
I follow your logic Orig. But here's my problem, if I put 15 qts into my rig the oil level goes past the max mark on the dipstick up onto the metal wire of the stick, indicating it's overfilled. This is after waiting the 20 minutes after shut down to measure per the manual. Hearing of the problems caused by an overfilled 6.0, I shoot to get the oil level between the hash marks, which takes 13.5 qts for my rig. I agree that it would be nice to get a little more in the crank case to dilute the used oil that remains in the system. I'm just not comfortable letting the oil level go beyond the max fill line. I don't think you're advocating that either. Out of curiousity, when you fill yours with 15 qts where does that put the oil level on your dipstick? Also, how soon after engine shutdown do you measure your oil level?
I look at the dipstick as an indicator of when and if I need to add oil to an engine. I don't look at it as an indicator that I should take it upon myself to adjust the manufacturers specified refill capacity.
Basically after a change I start it up, check for leaks then shut it down and see where the oil appears on the stick as a double check that I did not miscount the 3 gallons plus 3 quarts of bulk oil I put in. Generally we don't have time to operate the 6.0 or any other engine to operating temperature after an oil change and then wait 20 minutes to try and get an accurate dipstick reading. Also its an E450 cutaway van, long dipstick and tube that attaches to fan shroud, I would not consider it to be a more accurate measure of desired oil level than the 15 quarts specified by Ford as refill capacity that I just put in.
I do not advocate anyone over fill their engine oil.
I do advocate that when the oil filter is changed and the 6.0 is properly drained that 15 quarts will not over fill it.
We have been operating and maintaining our 2004 6.0 this way for over 100,000 miles and it has not had any issues or been to the dealer for anything other than the trannsmission recall.