Old 02-23-2003, 02:38 AM
Boss_358
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic to Manual Transmission conversion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by randallc
[B]Thank you for the great response...

First of all, what is a slave cylinder?

A slave cylinder is a hydraulic unit that operates the clutch rather than a cable or a linkage style mechanism. It operates on brake fluid and can either have a pump on the inside of the bell housing or a unit mounted to the outside with a plunger that pushes the clutch fork which I am more familiar with. A slave cylinder should be easily adaptable to your truck. You might have a hole with a plug where it is supposed to go. Go walk through some bone yards and find some trucks with this unit to see where everything should go.

and are you sure that I don't need a new computer? I have seen posts about getting a chip that will improve automatic shift response, this sounds to me that the computer does have some kind of controll over the transmission.
QUOTE]

The computer only controls the shifts in an automatic transmission. It does nothing to a manual whatsoever. Hence the term MANUAL. You shift when you want to. The chips are to firms shifts and change shift RPM's in automatics. This has no affect on a manual at all. The only wires going into a manual tranny should be for the back up lights. The only thing that I think would happen if you take out your auto tranny is an engine light may come on because the computer is not getting any feedback from a transmission. This may not happen though. Either way the computer would not be affected and the engine should not perform any differently.