View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM
christcorp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is definitely a lot of misinformation out there. 1 is that all gas has at least 10% ethanol in it. That is not true. There is not a 100% mandate to use ethanol in gasoline. There are even many advertisements proudly proclaiming that their gasoline ISN'T using ethanol. There are even Q&A from companies like CITGO that directly state that not all of the stations have ethanol in it. GOOD FOR THEM.

There's also a lot of misinformation that states that Ethanol is much better for the environment than 100% regular gasoline. Well, as with any set of statistics, you can make any numbers say what you want them to. Maybe a new car designed to run on 85-100% ethanol can do better; but the facts still show that in many cases, using the traditional 10% ethanol that is added to gasoline can produce a net loss; and a net negative to the environment and use of gasoline. Hmmm, wonder if that's why you don't hear a lot of public complaining about ethanol from the oil companies. They know that it doesn't lower their oil/gasoline production by any real significance. Not when you consider the amount of fossil fuel required to plant, fertilize, harvest, process, transport, etc... the ethanol; and the lower efficiency and energy factor that lowers the MPG and requires the purchase of more fuel to go the same distance.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I've done a lot of research and reading, and it just doesn't add up. I see ethanol purely as a political topic. It it there for farmers and big companies like ADM. It doesn't reduce our need for oil. It does hurt food production and prices. And sorry if I can't have 100% confidence in an anonymous forum poster. Even if their name if Fueltester. That means nothing to me. I guess I could call myself "Gold-Investor", but that doesn't mean I actually know about investing in gold. I've read the posts and compared it to many current reports. I don't agree with a lot of it. The last time global WARMING actually occurred was in 1998. Since then, our GLOBAL temperature has actually dropped. Yes, ice caps are melting. It's been doing that for about 1 million years. And yes, the polar caps will become tropical in the future. That too is normal.

The truth is; ethanol and climate change are political advantageous because most people are ignorant. Even both sides who disagree with each other, and are educated, are still the minority. The average person doesn't know anything. They just go by the sensationalism there read and hear about in the media. Ethanol and climate change is also very lucrative. It is big money and big business. That's what this is all about. I have no problem with alternative fuels and energy. I just don't believe that ethanol is it. I believe that it wastes money and resources that could go to REAL energy replacement research and technologies.