Thread: LT Tires
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just me, but if you have a specific tire you're looking at that you can only get in an E load rating for the size you need, I'd just get it. I've put E's on several vehicles that didnt "need" 'em (2 Grand Cherokee's, a Bronco and a Blazer) and to be perfectly honest, I could never tell a hoot of difference in the ride. Maybe a smidge more noticeable feel over road cracks, but certainly nothing that equates to the comments most people make about how rough it'll make the ride.

I mean, if you put 80psi in 'em you'll get a rough ride -- but if you stay within the load limits of everything else (GVWR, GAWR, etc.) you'll never need that much pressure.

I know two guys who have E rated Goodyear ATS's on their Expy's and I've ridden in both and they ride exactly the same as mine.

And just because I know somebody will ask, I'll give you one example of why you might go with an E tire on a truck that doesnt "need" it. I had an '01 Grand Cherokee with a 2" lift and 17" wheels... I wanted a more agressive off-road tire because I did a LOT of 4-wheelin in the Colorado mountains. Well, the only tire I could find (other than no-name generic brands) with a tread design I liked, and that made a 17" tire that would fit inside my wheel wells and clear while turning and under extreme articulation was a Cooper Discoverer STT -- and in the paticular size I needed they only made an E.