View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL
Before purchasing my EL 12 months ago, I too (like most others I'm sure) compared to the comprable Suburban. You've touched on many of the EL's advantages over the Suburban, but there were a couple advantages that I felt the Suburban has over the Expedition.
  1. Suburban has a selectable Transmission Temperature display.
  2. Suburban has a transmission Tow/Haul Switch to change the transmission shift points.
  3. Suburban is available in a true 3/4 ton chassis, although the 6.0L engine and dated 4 speed transmisson don't really improve the power-weight ratio or towing characteristics. I think a 6 speed transmission is now available for 3/4 ton 2008 models.
  4. Available extending tow mirrors for 3/4 ton
  5. Suburban has electric cooling fans
  6. Some Suburban models are E85 capable
  7. 1/2 ton Suburbans have a ligher vehicle weight
  8. Suburban has an active engine oil life monitor to optimize oil change intervals based on actaual driving conditions.
Most of these I wouldn't even consider advantages but cutesie options. The Expy has an oil life monitor and I don't think it works much differently than the Cheby. E85 is not an advantage, lower cost maybe but much lower MPG. The Expy will tow almost as much as some 3/4 ton trucks and if you need to tow that much than the expy is the wrong vehicle. If the transmission control system is advanced enough, as the expy is, the shift points will be taken care of by the computer as load requires, I think the button is more of a "makes someone feel good" that they can push something button. The only one I would consider an advantage is the electric cooling fans and thats about it.

My $.02 cents.

Mark