View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply- I've been getting ready for the event in Steele AL this weekend.

Why should I buy a Pulse pump as opposed to a Stealth or 17 degree HPOP?
I can't make any comments about a product that I haven't seen, so I can't give you any comparisons there. Sorry.

I'll do my best in regards to the 17* portion.

The simple answer would be, that if your current pump or a 17* can maintain what your asking of it, then there is no need for anything bigger.

However.......The response of the PULSE is where the main advantage comes in, even comparing to a 17 that can maintain. Your pcm program calls for a certain pressure at a certain rpm, load, speed, etc. That doesn't mean the pump can actually produce that pressure as fast as the pcm makes these changes. It "builds" to the demanded pressure as fast as the volume of the pump allows. So, when you go to WOT from a stand, the pcm may be calling for 3000 (for example), your pump may take 3 seconds to reach it.
In the PULSE, we ran logs showing the ICP change from 500psi to 3000psi before a single engine rpm increase was logged. What this can equate to is better atomization, better fuel economy, less smoke, more power where you need it, faster acceleration, better towing power, etc. All this while producing the same max pressure and same hp levels.

That is assumming you left the same programs in your truck as you ran with your stock pump.

Now, with this extra volume comes more options. You can ask for a little higher ICP at WOT. There is most definately an advantage from going from 2800-2900 (the normal truck program) to 3000-3100psi. You can also ask for more ICP at cruising speeds for better towing power and mileage.

We toyed with making even larger displacement pumps, and have a few sitting on the "who knows, someone will want it" table, but there is a line we decided to not cross. More oil to get the Powerstroke running as it should and power most injectors on the market seemed to be the right size to us. it fits 99.99% of all DIeselsite customer's needs. It bolted in- no modification to anything else was needed, and we have maybe only a small extra load on the engine oil. These pumps sheer oil bad. They create tremendous amounts on heat, and running a pump greatly oversized than what you needed would simply reduce your oil change interval and further aerate your oil. (Foaming is not aeration- totally different principles)

We ran a 15 gallon hydraulic tank (That's almost 4 times the oil sump in a PSD!) with baffles and could not keep the oil from aerating with two coupled PULSE pumps. This was not even on a MOVING TRUCK sloshing the sump.

So, the argument in the market will always be "mine's bigger" , but after you have enough oil to give you instant response and maintained pressure at WOT, anything larger just robs horsepower to turn the pump, robs oil change miles, and reduced lubrication to the engine from increase aeration from excessive circulation. Then I see people wanting larger LPOPs? - if this is a daily driver, you'd better add a 25 gallon oil tank in the bed and remote recirc pumps to let the oil settle out.

If this is a dedicated race truck- then go for it.

Bob