Thread: Power Steering
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
w5kgt
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering

Ok Guy's, I've been real busy lately. But I'm still here. I have a problem with my power steering on my 76' F250. I've asked this question on the other forums, but got some dumb and stupid answers. So I'm going to ask my fellow La. buddies. I have been trying to figure out what is going on. And it has stumped me so for. before I had my engine rebuilt the power steering worked great. very little noise and can turn the truck with one finger.

New engine and new power steering pump with new lines and cooler. Same old gear box. I flushed the system out with one gallon of Type F fluid. Which the Ford pro's say the pumps are designed for Type F. I put the new pump on, filled the reservior with fluid. Unhooked the return line from the pump. Cranked the truck with the coil unhooked until Got clean fluid with no air bubbles. Installed the return line. Jacked the front up so the wheels are off the ground. Cranked the truck and turned the wheels back and fourth. No power assist. After talking to some people. They suggested to take the return off and check for pressure. I did and found to have very little pressure. So I took the pump back and got another one. Put it on and the same thing happend. I'm a little bent out of shape now. So I took the pump off and took it apart and found the relief valve stuck in the bypass position. So I go back to the parts house and get the third pump. Put it on and go through the same flush out procedure. Crank the truck and get the distinctive sound from the pump that the old FORDs make. My hopes are up until I try the steering. No power assist. So I take the return line off and find that there is plenty of pressure comming out while the engine is running.
Add new fluid (have used 2 gallons by now) Hook the line up and have driven the truck for three days with the pump howling and no assist. So I gave up not knowing anything about the gearbox inerworkings. Took the power steering belt off and been driving the truck for about a week now.

No power steering, but it sure is nice and quiet. It is as quiet as the 2001 Supercrew.
So I'm at a lost until I find someone who can help. If you know of someone please let me know. And thanks for reading my long post.

w5kgt@hotmail.com
w5kgt@w5kgt.com