View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 PM
misnomer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a number of places to get information. One that I like is journeytoforever.com They have recipies from different people who all do things slightly different, and they have some diagrams and photos of different setups people have developed.

There is a place in Chico near me that make biodiesel processors (biopro series) They make all stainless steel single tub units which are semi automatic, they are pretty nice I went and looked at them but they want $9000! That pretty much defeats my purpose of making inexpensive fuel. But I think I can make something very similar (maybe better) to what they do for about 10% of the cost. But I think I like their method of esterfication (acidic reaction) prior to transesterfication (basic reaction). At journeytoforever they term it the "fool proof" method. The biopro 190 is a 50 gal batch reactor. The 190 comes from the recipe where you add 190ml of sulfuric acid as the first step, then add the methoxide. This eliminates the need to perform a titration, all you need to do is test for FFA and as long as it is below 5% you are good to go. (that is what they tell me)

I haven't made BD yet, I am pretty sure of how I am going to do it and am in the process of obtaining tanks and other equipment. But I am always looking for the experiences of others to refine things better. I am still not sure how I am going to put together a methanol recovery system...