View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 11:14 AM
slowsix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need cheaper CO. insurance.........!!

Hey Rompin 78,

Man don't you just hate those greedy, low down, grubbin insurance companies. Man all they do is take your hard earned cash and never pay you back.

The PIP (medical) issue came about in 1975. In order to keep control of costs your own insurance company would pay all of your medical bills. You would not have to go the at fault parties insurance company to get your medical bills paid. If your "resonable and necessary" medical bills exceed $2,500 and you were not at fault then you could make a claim for personal injury against the other party. This was supposed to keep the lawsuits at a minimum. Seen any "injury" attorney ads lately?

"Reasonable and necessary" now means chiropractors, accupuncture, aura reconstruction, hot tubs, emotional distress for witnessing an accident while in the "zone of danger", post traumatic stress syndrome for an accident causing $200 damage total to two cars, essential services payment for housecleaning, lawn mowing, dish washing etc if you are unable to perform these services etc. because of the $200 accident.

A standard policy on the PIP has $50,000 medical benefit, $50,000 rehabilitaiton benefit, one year loss of earnings up to $400/week on a sliding scale (depending on how much you make)and $25/day essential services. Let's add that up ... huuummmmm...$129,925 benefit for a BASIC policy. You can always add more.

Gosh and then there is the "injury" that needs to be addressed through a personal injury claim that is tax free in addition to having all of your medical bills, loss of earnings and essential services ALREADY paid for.

I agree premiums are high, I pay them also. Instead of complaining about the company gouging you, address the statute that is being addressed right now in the legislature. The "injury" attorneys sure are. You think they want the system to change? No way. Where would they make their money? "one call, that's all. Call me for your check." $2,500 in "reasonable an necessary " medical bills takes only a few days if you are dedicated "treatment".

What do you think would happen to the medical treatment if you could not make a claim for personal injury? Think a few of the "caregivers" - notice I did NOT day Dr's - would go out of business and not charge $125 for a theraputic massage? Think aura reconstruction would go by the wayside? If the insurance company did not have to pay for the "CAREGIVER" medical treatment so the injured party could reach the $2,500 threshold for a personal injury claim do you think premiums would go down -they better! First the LAW needs to be changed. Good luck going against the personl injury lobby.

You may have my soapbox now.