View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Really screwed up the mix

I decided to make my first batch 5 gallons in case I screwed it up. Well, I did.
I started out not putting in enough KOH so with your collective help, I ran it again and added more KOH. I let it sit in the separator and I did notice glycerol on the bottom of the sample bottle. I ran a titration 3 TIMES and it checked good. I had a family emergency so I didn't get any further for several weeks. Today I finished the process.The glycerol was in gooey clumps so I scooped them out of the bottom. I reheated to 100F,filtered through a 5 mic bag filter and attempted to remove the methoxide. THERE WASN'T ANY. I attribute this to running the batch twice and letting it sit for several weeks. OK no problem. I put in mix tank and used the following formula. 5 gal BD=36# 1% of 36 is .36# .36#= 5.76 oz. With that, I added 5.76 oz of magnesol and gently mixed for 1 hour. I then attempted to filter through a 5 mic/1 mic filter bag. It took 2 hours for 1/2 gal to drip through the bags. Obviously I have done something wrong. It is only 5 gallons. Shall I dump it and try again? What did I do wrong. Sure glad it wasn't 100 gals like Fab's first batch.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I need help and I know you want to know everything I did or didn't do. Thank you in advance for your help. Tom