View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Machine Shop Visit

Hi All:
Just wanted to share my experience this afternoon. I went over to visit Rob McQuarie at Blue Oval Performance. I had forgotten they keep odd hours Tues-Friday 8:30-1:00 and 2:00-5:30 (or something similar, depending). Bottom line is that Rob is a great guy and full of information. He will gladly build whatever you wish to spend.... I had asked a few of the basics and came out with some prices. He starts out with a hot tank ($80) and then will magnaflux ($75) or Sonic "map" ($90) depending on what you desire. New cam bearings and freeze plugs ($55). Also will do the oil mods to the block after it cleaned up the first time (he doesn't want to waste his time or your money on a block thats no good to start with) for $120. I did not get into the cost of boring because I probably will not need it but, a honing is $90 or $140 with plates. A complete balance of the reciprocating assembly, including the dampner and flex for auto is $160 (a little more for 4-speed flywheels). Moving to the heads, I asked about hardened seats ($140) and then a performance valve job ($210-pr). Of course all the prices were off the top of his head, but then I scavenged quite a bit of that in the 45 minutes we shot the breeze. I told he came highly recommended by William in Atlanta and that I would be sharing my experience. Also, I let him know that he may be hearing from a few of the fine local folks so tell him Mike sent you. Give him a call 303-762-8298, the shop is at about Hampden and Oxford.
--Mike G