View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Keep your eyes on the news-
The loose neutral was an outlet that was being used as a junction block. Missed it since that outlet had power, but the output wire had come loose. Stupid push-in wiring.
I have real outlets on that circuit now, along with lighting fixtures that don't have burnt wires, and switches that work reliably.
For some reason, while there is a 200a main disconnect outside under the meter, and no single large main breaker at the top of the panel inside, there is a breaker marked main that seems to be such. No amp rating on it, and it's the second or third breaker down on the panel. Worst thing is that shutting it off shuts off the house, so now I'm seriously questioning the wiring done in this place.
Question for you Tom-
Having a natural gas furnace and hot water, but electric dryer, range, and oven in a ~1000sf house, can I get away with a 100a disconnect? I can't find rating plates on anything around here, so I can't do the calculations. With a 100a main breaker at the meter, I should be able to use #2 wire for the run to the house. Keeping the 200a main means I would have to use 3/0 wire, and I can't afford that right now.
Are you going to be out this way anytime soon? I need to run a bunch of questions by someone who knows electrical stuff, like where to put the service at, etc. Or can I get a PSE rep out here to do that (do they do that?)?