View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 08:18 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver
Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
What do you know about a 337 flathead?

Sorry Ken, I figured you knew the difference, but I just had to ask after what I found in the shop manual. It's possible I didn't read close enough.

I'll risk one more dumb question - your badge and trim and vin on the truck is for a '52 and not a mis-titled '51?

Pickups trailed cars in improvements until 1948. The all new 1948 F1's got the 8RT one model year before the cars got the 8BA in the '49s. The new trucks hit the showrooms Jan 16, 1948.

I believe the OHV engines went into the trucks the same years that the cars got them.

My manual shows the 337 as the big truck engine thru 51 and then overhead valves after that. It says the F7's were fitted with the OHV 279 and the F8's with the OHV 317. However, the '52 supplement only covers the changes and not the entire line offered. This might be where I went wrong.

I'm sure someone knows, but this is about the limit of my ability to help. It would be nice to see that low-miles flatty used. Watch for restorers. If I bump into anyone looking for one, I'll let you know. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by mtflat; 02-03-2003 at 08:25 PM.