View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 02:26 PM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you know about a 337 flathead?

Tim,

Seen a few flatheads in my time. It is one, trust me. The spark plugs come straight out of the head. The distributor is in the rear.

The literature that I've seen for the F-8 with V-8 has been the 337 CID engine. I've heard that it was used in the Lincolns.

Other than that, this is the first one I've ever seen in person. It is distinctly differerent than the car and pickup flathead V-8.

I'm more familiar with cars. I remember that in the cars, the OHV 6's were started in '52, and the OHV 8's were started in '54. I don't know when all the changes were made in the big truck. The pickups mostly followed the car intro's.

My dad had a '53 OHV 6 in a Custom. As a teenager, I had a 272 OHV V-8 "Y" block in a 55. It was the first engine that I ever rebuilt.

This engine would be nice if someone wanted it to go in their F-8 or other big truck for that matter. I'm just not into flatheads, and would like someone to put it to better use. It is in an ex-fire truck with only 24K miles. I't seems a pitty to waste.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH