View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 05:14 PM
BobFlowers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Ranger Engine Knock

OK, I’ve got a 1987 Ranger 2.3L/Automatic, which I’ve restored from the ground up. During the 1-1/2 years I’ve owned it, I’ve posted several questions on these forums, of which many were very helpful. Unfortunately, I still have one ongoing issue that irritates me, and I’m going to be very descriptive here to hopefully give enough information to be of value to any potential member that may offer suggestions or solutions. Here goes:

1st, let me say that I’ve replaced just about each and every component imaginable, and I’ll try to list most of them.

1> ECU (Computer brain)
2> EGR Valve
3> ALL relays
4> ALL sensors
5> NEW distributor
6> NEW fuel injectors
7> NEW fuel rail
8> NEW fuel pressure regulator
9> NEW vacuum hoses, as well as all others + belts
10>NEW water pump
11>NEW timing belt
12>NEW oil pan
13>NEW oil pump w/pickup & screen
14>NEW seals
15>Rebuilt trans & torque converter
16>Balanced driveshaft
17>New shocks
18>New bushings/front end parts
19>New alternator
20>New heater core
21>New spark plugs, wires, caps, all ignition parts
22>New TFI module
23>New electric fan
24>New power brake booster
25>New Oxygen sensor
25>New carpets, door panels, dash pad, floor mats, seats, paint, bed cover, etc.

Lot’s more, but you get the idea.

Anyway, the one most annoying problem that comes and goes is a knock or rap on the lower right side of the motor (passenger side, sitting in the cab). By the way, the truck had been left with my mechanic for 2 weeks while I was on vacation a few months back, and he drove it daily, with his high end test equipment sitting on the seat, floor, hooked up like a NASA shuttle. I must say too that it has never been so perfect, runs like the day it was off the showroom floor. But that damn knock. It seems to be temperature related. When cold, absolutely nothing. After the thermostat opens up, come to a stop, take off, knock, knock, knock, speed and load related, yet it quickly disappears within seconds. The hotter it gets, the louder it is. If I stop the truck, go into 7-11 for 5 minutes, come out, start it up, no knock. Drive it for 2-4 minutes; come to a stop, knocking again. My mechanic verified when he changes the oil pump that the bearings and caps were OK, and I do have oil pressure.

I’m wondering, from reading around if it could be:

Spark knock
Octane knock (I’ve tried regular to ultra, no difference) (what’s this octane rod??)
Timing related issue
Something in the tranny?
Incorrect spark plugs or gap (O.E.M./Stock/factory gap)

I’ve tried 10W40, 20W50, straight 30W, 50W, (oil) all make no difference.
I’ve tried different oil filter brands, no difference.
I’ve changed the oil every 1,000 to 3,000 miles, no difference.

Other than the knock, I love the truck, it’s close to perfect.

Does anybody have any ideas or possibly a top notch Guru who could diagnose?

(Dealer, as far as I’m concerned, at least here in NJ, have a bunch of incompetent kids, albeit they may be learned in the NEWER vehicles, etc., this is a 15 year old technology that needs a crackerjack to diagnose and repair.)