View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bio Diesel Concerns

Well from my 2 years of diesel mechanic experience I have seen some interesting results of running Bio. Now there were a couple of guys that were running What I think was Bio but I am not sure if they were actually making bio diesel or just running filtered WVO. Any way on guy was running a GM 6.5 and the other guy was running a IDI 7.3. They must of went through 2 injections pumps each. They had all the heaters and even a preheater 2" before the inlet to the INj pump. I was told by our local Injection Pump Rebuilder that Bio is to thick for these rotary pumps but it is okay for pumps like the ones on the older mercedes because they are lubricated from engine oil also?

So my question, is it really wise to run bio on a engine that has a fuel system that was engineered to run on diesel. Obviously the basics of the diesel engine alow us to run BIO but I'm slightly concerned with our fuel systems with tighter clearances that were engineered for Diesel.

So the owners manual for my 05 6.0 says I can run up to 5% bio B5, I have read that some are actually running up to B20. I'm just concerened about really fouling u a $50,000 truck. And If I made my Bio and only mixed it at 5% would I really be saving any $ after purchasing a processing kit?