View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 04:38 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best & Worst Engines Ever Made ?!?!

>"I know of no other engine that will outlast the 300I6. I would have to give the mopar 225 slant 6 a close second".

I use to have a Chevy six cylinder in a '66' Biscayne.
They made the 235 & the 250.
No amount of punishment could take that engine down. This was back when I was in high school. I ran the thing so hot that spit would sizzle off the block. Happened a few times. It would use oil like it was free. Depending on how hard I drove it, it could use a quart of oil every 150 miles. I never changed it, just keep adding to it. It had a three on the tree and I would rev it till I thought it would blow. It had such low compression that the engine compression wouldn't hold it from rolling down a slight incline when in first gear after shutting it off. I wanted a good reason to drop a small V8 in the engine bay. After I couldn't destroy the engine I gave up and decided to rebuild it. Soon after making plans I crashed the car and totaled it. Say what you want about Chevy's, but that six cylinder gave me reason to respect it. I use to work at a boat dealership at the same time. All of the Merc-Crusiers stern drives had Chevy six cylinders attached to them and the Merc-Cursiers had a good reputation. And I have to ask, what was the reason for the "slant" six? Was it slanted to get it to fit under the hood?

Last edited by DailyDriver; 01-24-2003 at 04:40 AM.