View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Behemoth
Ok, either I'm just cranky because I'm still sick, or this proposed bill is just another thing that gets under my skin, but I just shot an email to all three congressmen for my district (2 reps, 1 senator). I'm sure between the cold meds and my anger, I didn't make a lot of sense, but here's what I offered....

Congressman DeBolt,
I'd like to take this opportunity to voice my concerns about SB6900, the bill to impose fees based on engine displacements. It would seem yet another piece of legislation has been offered to reduce the money people have in their pockets, and place it in the hands of those that typically use it with less than the public interest in mind.
In short, this bill suggests a sliding scale of fees to be imposed based merely upon the displacement, or size of the engine in a motor vehicle. The supposed logic of such, is that bigger engines produce more pollutants, therefore, they should have to pay more for the priviledge of using their vehicles. The irony here is that those with larger engines have to fill up more frequently, and are already paying more tax than other citizens. This bill does nothing but imply that the government wishes everyone to take the bus, and not be allowed to engage in the freedom of owning a vehicle of their own choosing. Creating a bill that treats people differently based merely on the engine in their vehicles does appear somewhat contradictory to the due process clause of the 14th Amendment, does it not?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but considering the gas taxes already imposed upon the public, one would think we're being made to pay quite enough in recent history. I have just read an article regarding OPEC's comments that petroleum supplies are plentiful, yet the United States has chosen to not increase production, thus artifically inflating the price of crude. This, in turn, translates to higher prices at the pumps, then higher production and transportation costs, then finally, higher costs to the consumer. If ANY of that article is true, it would appear our own "representative" government, is choosing to shove this country into a recession of its own free will.
This cookbook sort of fee application fails to take many different contexts into mind. I'm sure the bill has received a lot of support from those that are affiliated with schools like Evergreen State College, where liberal minded hypocracy runs uninhibited. These supposedly environmentally minded people typically buy "green" cars, or smaller cars with smaller displacement engines. I have no argument with smaller engines, but all too often, these people fail to maintain their cars, and they end up running at less than peak efficiency, hence creating more pollution than they were designed to. With regard to the hybrid type of car, yes, they're great at reducing emissions, but noone seems to recall the fact that the production of the lithium-ion batteries in those cars, such as the Toyota Prius, is just as much an environment hazard as the production any larger gasoline engine could hope to be.
This bill also shows a complete lack of understanding of the current performance market, which is completely aimed at smaller engine displacements. This aftermarket provides larger fuel injectors, bigger turbochargers, larger fuel pumps, etc...all meant to increase performance, AND fuel consumption, with no relation whatsoever to the displacement of the engine itself.
Another angle to view this from is the fact that many private citizens that own their own work vehicles, and have to license them, will have to pay more just to keep their businesses afloat. Landscapers, roofers, carpenters, farmers, shuttle services, etc., are all private businesses that will have to pay more because the vehicles they need have bigger engines. Does the government truly intend to eliminate the small businessman completely? Bigger engines are not the ultimate culprit here....it's those that fail to maintain the engines they own, regardless of size.
The issue of pollution and emissions control is much more complex than the simple displacement of the engine in a vehicle. Please tell your colleagues to stop trying to rob the public as a quick answer, and focus on better solutions like fuel cell technology (hydrogen power).
With respect,
Tim
Very well said. I guess it got shot down, didnt even make the floor, but now the legislature brought it back as another State Bill. So they are really pushign for this. Keep pressing your Reps and keep this bill KILLED!