Old 01-21-2003, 09:36 PM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever make an overdrive add-on from old Borg Warner trans?

I am restoring an old Ford F-8 with a very tall rear gear ratio (7.3:1). It will receive a Lincoln 460/C-6 transplant, but the final gear ratio will most likely necessitate an overdrive addition.

1. I've looked at the options using an E4OD with a non-electronics kit.
2. Gearvendors aftermarket OD.
3. Two-speed differential.
4. Adaptation of an AOD as in one of the FTE tech articles.
5. Home-brew OD add-on.

HOME-BREW OD ADD-ON, consideration:

I have an old Borg-Warner T-85 3-speed overdrive transmission that's been under the shelf for the last 20 years out of my '64 390 Galaxie that I'll probably never reinstall in the original car.

I have a machine shop in my garage, and I'm curious if someone has ever attempted or know of someone who has taken one of these units and adapted them into a drivetrain.

The wheelbase of the truck is 158" so I have lots of driveshaft available for shortening. Can the OD unit be removed from the old 3-speed case and a yoke with seal mount plate be machined to attach to the output spline of a transmission; fabricate a mount for the unit; and attach the shortened driveshaft to the rear of the OD unit?

If this could be accomplished on my equipment, with a little "sweat equity," and for a few hundred bucks in materials would be a lot cheaper than thousands of $ for a new OD aftermarket unit.

You opinions, please.

Thank you,

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH