Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RE: Australian highways - am I far off the mark?

In RE: Falcons

Originally Posted by [b
YoGeorge] [/b]
Big problem I see is lack of clearance--although they show a pic of it in shallow water, you're gonna rip the bottom out even on some fairly mild access roads. Hell, looks like you'd rip the front bumper/spoiler off on a typical parking lot block. Still, it looks like it would be a riot to drive.

Subaru made that Baja thing a few years ago (ugleee), and I don't think anyone bought them because the bed was about 3 feet long--made no sense for the stuff that I need to carry. Earlier on was the original Subaru BRAT, which was a little car/pickup thing like the Dodge Rampage.

Bring back the original pre-bloat mini-pickups; cheap and simple--I think they were cheaper to operate than almost any other vehicle. I can deal with rubber mats, am able to roll up windows (used to do it years ago in everything I owned), and don't mind a little mechanical noise. Even though they were small, they were real TRUCKS, and I like trucks.

George

A thing about Australian roads that must have figured in the design scheme is that it is a "LONG WAY TO ANYWHERE".

And not all the roads in the outback are camel trails...

Like the interstates in America, they have well maintained blacktop that is near endless, and practically nothing to see along the way - so why not go FAST?

It's the ultimate "OTTOBAHN". Worry more about kangaroos than cops...

The more I think about it, the more I like it. We've seen an influx of Aussies coming over here - someone ought to replace them.
(He observes)