View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Good point...

Originally Posted by dkf
I change oil in my V10 at 3k miles regardless of oil type. I only use 5-20 and a Fl-820s filter.

A lot of the european cars also hold much more oil than the V10 does so thats the main reason why they have such long drain intervals. I read in another forum some small 6cyl BMWs have like a 10qt oil pan. The 2V V10 only holds 6qts. and the 3V V10 only holds 7qts. Thats not a lot of oil.
I am a bit surprised that the V10 only holds 6-7 quarts. Same as my 4.6, essentially.

Most of the BMW 6-cylinder engines hold about 7 quarts--the M3 6 cylinder actually holds only 6 quarts, and has a rev limit of something like 8000 RPM, and the BMW VANOS (variable valve timing) system allegedly shears the hell out of oil. But the factory spec oil is a full syn 10W60($$$) and they have OC indicators that go off only after 10-12k.

...and the newest BMW's OMIT THE FREAKIN' DIPSTICK--shades of the 5R55W transmission. (just go to the dealer if you need oil)....I would not touch one of those cars with a 10-foot pole.

We've got two 4-cylinder BMW's--I have a '91 318is, my son a '97 318ti, and they each take about 5.5 quarts, which is a good amount to be sure...and I have an '03 Mazda Protege5 which I bought last year, similar motor to the BMW's, that holds only 3.7 quarts--that makes me a bit nervous--with an oil filter the size of a thimble. Our BMW's specify a 15W40 oil down to temps below zero fahrenheit but we've been using 10W40 for easier cranking in the winter (I've used Rotella 15W40 for most of the lifetime of my '91, which only sees a couple thou a year now). Even my '91 BMW has an OC indicator and that has gone about 9k miles--I've ignored it and used to change it every 3-4k when driving it daily. And my son is changing his every 3-4k, with 166k on the odo an zero oil consumption.

I guess if I had a V10, I'd be inclined to use a 3-4k interval with Motorcraft 5W20, but would push it to 5-6k with a full synthetic, still within Ford's recommendation.

And I'm still on the fence with my Mazda....I did a change with full synthetic (first time ever using a full syn) and *may* push it to 4 or 5k. But with such a small crankcase, and with buy one/get one free Valvoline full syn at Advance Auto parts, hell, it's only $11 for 4 quarts of full synthetic.

When I swith my 4.6 van to full syn, I'd have no problem with 6k changes, maybe....

George