View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=YoGeorge]One important element for the mods and Duratecs is to use oil filters with a good anti-drainback valve--Motorcraft filters are great in this respect with a silicone anti-drainback valve. There are other good filters out there as well--but my Ford dealer was using some "no name" filters which definitely gave me more start-up noise--I now pay them the extra $5 for a Motorcraft filter gladly.

And, if you're using a full synthetic, I would stretch the oil change intervals to 5 or 6k (have a UOA--used oil analysis--done if you have any concerns). Porsche and BMW use synthetic oils and end up with change intervals of 12k miles--for a while, Porsche used change intervals of 24k miles (!!) but backed down to 12k. I do suspect that Porsches run with much larger crankcase capacities based on engine size.

I do use change intervals of 3-4k myself with Motorcraft semi-syn oil, and when my extended warranty is up (in the next 1000 miles), might well change to full synthetic 5W20 and kick up the intervals to 5-6k, doing changes myself. As a matter of fact, I recently bought 24 quarts of Quaker State Torque Power 5W20 at an Advance Auto closeout for 95 cents a quart...that'll give me just about 4 changes for under $10 each including new FL820S filters.

George
-----------------
Nice work and a nice plan there, George. Doing the labor yourself, you'll save a lot of $$, plus you always have the personal satisfaction of knowing the job was done correctly.

Sometimes I feel nobody can do an oil change better than I can on any of my vehicles, I know some punk yahoo with a nose ring is not torquing down the oil pan drain bolt that causes stripped (or loose, = leaks) threads, I know old oil has not run all over the frame and undercarriage, I know my brand new oil filter does not have grimy, greasy, fingerprints on it AND I know when it's time to remove the oil filter, I can get it off without a breaker bar! (and a few cuss words!)

I am sure you feel the same way with your equipment.

I can understand if someone has a physical problem where they can't do their own oil changes, the elderly, ect. However, us DIYers save $ and use quality products, it a win-win situation.

Ed