View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 PM
slickerthanyou
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Sorry to hear that.

Not sure what you can expect from "a bunch of crazy morons" & a 10 YO motor that has had to be apart so many times. Still don't suspect "the pump" however IF, trapped air, fan clutch, blocked up heater core & heater control issues are not "pertinent" I'm afraid nothing else comes to mind. Let us know what the 9,000 mile pump looks like. In really cold conditions a motor could idle w/o a pump & even drive at some level just by thermal convection cooling thru radiator. I've seen SAABs & even tractors used to plow, that relied thermosyphon effect to circulate coolant. Also seen failed water pump impellors made out of cast iron, stamped sheet steel, diecast, rubber & plastic.

IMO these F150 heaters should come on like Jack the Bear. Running, coolant circulates thru heater core constantly & once warmed up, when you demand heat that control door should open by vacuum & provide a nearly instant blast of heat.

Wild thought. Could also have an AC issue. You know AC is enabled in every control position except Off, Panel or Floor? For heat only you should try Panel or Floor. For instance if you select Panel & Floor the AC could be running, even in cold weather, if it's low limit was NF.
Alright, checked the old pump was smooth operation so I put it back on. The fan and clutch seem to be good as the resistance seems normal. I had him buy another T-stat and o-ring NOT from PEP BOYS this time from the dealer, Did the hot water in pot thing again and compared the two stats. I couldn't believe it- the motorcraft one opened up way more than the pep boys one. So I had him get his money back for that one. I've never had a problem with the "Stant" brand name till now. Everything works good. This isn't a daily driver vehicle He only had put 9000 miles on it in 2 years. Them Fords just break more when they sit than run, just like my Bronco! OH well it fixed now, thanks for the help!!

BTW- There is a huge space between the motor and the intake on the modular engines Is there anything under the runners? Hoses electrical? Just curious. looks like a good place for ford to put something that needs replaced often. -Bob