View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Robvan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
534 Air/PS belt Adjustment ?

Have a 77 Bluebird Cab over School bus RV, 534 on Propane, Allison 4 Speed auto, Air Brakes,

Am a big guy, can't get in close enough under the dog house from up top or from under to see how to adjust the Belts for the Compressor or Power Steering pump. But can get my arms up there and reach down kind of from the top.

The belts are so loose for the P/S sometimes I think I can smell rubber and howls continually at idle, But howl goes away when reved up, though getting worse, Don't have to move very far or often right now, but am going to have to fix it soon for possibly not being able to move at all.

Anyone got a service manual pdf or a photo of the front of a similar engine?

P/S pump is located Drivers side front top corner, Coffee can size reservior, Can only see, get at a couple top inner bolts easily if it pivots from them or they need to be loosened, but doesn't look like it, though have run into some pretty complicated adjustements on some other industrial equipment.

Compressor mounted below it and a bit outboard. From underneath does't appear to move/adjust from the side of the engine last time I looked, Thought to be fixed to the side of the engine, share engine oil? and belt driven.
Alternator is mounted top Right side and easy to adjust or is more accessable.

Am I going to see if I can hire a midget to do it ? or with a better idea on where to adust it from might be able to do it blind with a lot of contorting and likely frustration.
The front body, headlight panels appear to open, but looking like not providing any better access to the front of the engine with the Rad taking up too much space anyway.

Thanks in advance.