View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redjar31, that is another common problem. I had a Mitsubishi a few weeks ago that the owner took to Midas because his battery was going dead. The put a battery in it and he drove it for two days before it was dead again. He went back to them and they threw an alternator at it and charged the battery. Two days later he was back and they wanted to put a computer in it. This time he balked and brought it to us. The first thing I noticed was that the battery light didn't work when the key was on and the engine was off. It took two or three hours to find the broken wire in the harness behind the battery, but that $200 fixed what the previous $500 and the $800 for a computer would not have.

Beware the alternator test at AZ. A couple of years ago the alternator went out on my wife's 73 Camaro and I confirmed it by testing it myself. I pulled it off and took it to AZ since they sold it to me. The guy put it on the tester and eventually it asked him to input whether it was one of their parts or not, and it was. He ran the test and it passed. Since I knew it was bad I suggested we run the test again, but tell the machine that it was not an AZ part this time. He did it and it failed. His next comment blew me away: "Almost all of them that aren't ours fail and almost all of ours pass." Sounds like a scam to me.