Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
dascro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David85
We are probably at the tipping point like what happened to gassers in the 70s, and diesels will probably get a little worse before they get better in terms of MPG. What I meant about maxing out the system was referring to reaching the limit of the emissions technology, so the question is what will replace the DPF when it can't keep up with emissions regulations anymore? And what toll will that take on MPGs?

I tend to be very cynical about environmental policy and motor vehicle regulations, and haven't seen much in the way of good ideas toward that end. But I guess thats just my opinion, and as a diesel nut, I don't like seeing "my team" (diesels) get whipped.

The way I look at it, if an old high mileage diesel like mine can get better MPGs than the latest greatest diesel monsters being sold out there, than something is wrong with this picture, hence I say we can do better than what we are being sold.

Most of my engine/powertrain modding is geared toward better MPG and not power. I still have a long list of potential mods to get a better burn, but until I have time to build them, I can't claim that they would make a big difference. Water, or hydrogen injection to name a couple.
Alright. at first your posts came off as a bit "trollish" but i stand corrected

The DPF is part of the big emissions picture i suppose. In 2010 there will be Urea injection along with the DPF.

I agree, the diesel MPG has gotten worse and in time it should start to improve again.

I understand why you feel as you do. I guess it would make sense that with "progress" you would see a better and better product, that may mean MPG or power. With the new diesels you really get neither and suffer with worse MPG. I can see why you are cynical about gov't regulations, they seldom are about what they initially seem to be. usually money plays a huge part.

I think you are the right track with water injection. It seems like there really hasn't been much focus on that. I don't know why that is, it has proven to beneficial.