Thread: insurance
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2002, 10:04 PM
El Guapo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
insurance

Everyone's insurance situation is different and for a lot of people, I don't think it's too outrageous at all.

I live near Longmont and I'm 40 years old, no one under 25 driving in the household, only one moving violation in the last 8 years, for speeding 10 over, 12K miles a year driving to work, I'm paying $198.00 every 6 months to one of the big well known insurance companies for full coverage of a mid 90's F-250. That's liability $100/$300/$50 thousand and full comprehensive, theft, collision with a $0 deductible. Pays for a new windshield every few years after a rock hits it.

The truck gets a $40 good driver discount, $15 off for multiple vehicles and a $20 utility vehicle discount.

Between the vehicles, I'm paying $86 a year additional for mandatory uninsured mororist coverage, something I'm not happy about, but in my opinion the reality is there will ALWAYS be uninsured jerks on the road, regardless of the law, sanctions, jail time or whatever. Hell, there's people out there driving on revoked licenses. I look at it as protecting ME and my family.

It costs twice as much for the same coverage on my wife's newer small car, still not unreasonable. I pay a LOT more for homeowner's insurance.

Well, it could be worse. There was a legislative proposal maybe six or eight years ago to add a few cents of tax to the price of gas to pay for insurance for people that couldn't or wouldn't get their own.
Whether we'd be better off with that rather than paying directly out of pocket for UI motorist coverage to our insurance companies is a question, but the concept really rubbed me the wrong way.
It's the old "pay me now or pay me later" thing. You still got to pay.

They have been gradually tightening up the laws and enforcement of uninsured drivers, they're still out there, but I don't think as many as there used to be. The real problem is there aren't enough cops patrolling the roads to enforce the laws that are on the books already.

Best regards,

EG