View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IQ9
I very much agree that the tires seem to make some vehicles much more capable than they look on paper and even in person.
I couldnt agree more! Thats why I cant believe that companies like Ford and Jeep sell what would otherwise be quite capable 4x4's with the tires they usually do. I think the last vehicle I bought new with a decent set of tires on it was my '90 Bronco. Everything since then, I've had to drop $$$ within the first month to put decent skins on it.

I think the worst ones I've run into so far are the Wrangler SRA's on a Grand Cherokee and the BFG Rugged Trail T/A's on my Excursion. Both were down right scary on wet roads (the BFG's were the first and only tire I've hydroplaned on in over 20 years of driving)... and forget snow... ugh!

In spite of their mild appearance, I actually have to say that I've been impressed with the Pirelli Scorpion STR-A's on my Expy... for what they are anyway. They're going away soon, but in my couple trips up to the mountains this month they actually did pretty well in the snow (likely more a function of the traction control than the tires). I just worry about hydroplaning on them due to the solid shoulder tread -- and I'm pretty sure that I'd tear 'em up on the rocks once the snow clears on my favorite trails.

I'm leaning towards Bridgestone A/T Revo's in a 265/70-18. Just a touch taller and a touch wider than my stock skins... and the Revo has been by far the best A/T I've ever run, in all conditions.