Thread: Skiing Etc.....
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 AM
'66GT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 cm? Omg, that's 9.8 feet! Really?

From your level of experience, it sounds like you're looking for a high performance recreational (unless you're skiing gates again, then you should get a race ski). Depending on your height, weight, and ski conditions, most manufacturers now offer excellent skis in the h.p.r. aka all-terrain category.

Rossignol's hpr skis nowadays are great in terms of all-around performance. Particularly, their Bandit series are solid on both groomers and powder. Nice sidecut for carving, plus a wider than average ski for powder make this ski very versatile in all types of conditions.

Skis that give more performance when you push them (meaning they will definitely push back, and are practically impossible to overpower), look into Atomic and Volkl as they are proven performers. If you go into a shop and specifically compare the flex between the Rossi's and the Atomics, you'll notice the shovels are about the same, but the tails are very different: Rossi's are softer, whereas Atomics are very stiff. NOTE that one isn't better than the other - the difference in performance is that the Rossi's will provide a more smooth carve like a Caddy (its overall tip-to-tail flex is fairly uniform) and the Atomics and Volkls will give better J-turn precision b/c the tails will snap your weight transfer to the next turn nearly effortlessly, very much like a spring-board effect.

However with a stiffer tail, note three things: 1. you have to be a fairly aggressive skier, 2. or heavier otherwise you won't get the performance out of them. 3. You need to be able to carve on edge throughout the WHOLE turn (not wash out at the end) or else you won't take advantage of the ski's performance. Only about 5% ski this way though, yet I see about 20% that own such hpr skis - too much ski for their given level of performance = money wasted.

As a guideline, I'm only 160 lb, so for me it takes a ton of energy to enjoy the full performance benefit of the Atomics and Volkls in the hpr line (Volkls are slightly softer, though). At the end of a day (if I can make it) I've just gone through a solid work-out. Otherwise I should be looking at something more forgiving e.g. Salomon, K2, Volant, which I can ski all day with less exertion. Usually the better experience for most people is one where they've enjoyed their day, yet are not completely exhausted.

The absolute best way to learn what will work for you is to test-drive a pair at a demo-day (or if you're friends with the tech staff they might set you up with demos out of their high-performance rentals). If possible, try the skis for a whole day or at least a half day - one or two runs won't do anything except get you confused. Also, b/c you're coming from long skis, remember to check the ego and accept that 180s are the new 200s. I know this b/c I didn't bother listening to the reps. I skied soo bad on a pair of 198s, and the reps were just laughing at me. Back in the day, Comor had all their high-performance skis for rent for $25/day, and they would also deduct the rental from your purchase. I think most stores do this, so you might also check this out as well.

Sorry that my opinion just became a full article. I loooove skiing, and in fact I was so addicted that I was on the slopes as much as I was at College! My parents would have killed me, except my dad's a huge snowboarder and still hardcore at 70!